Sunday, September 18, 2011

Isaiah 64:8 (Written on 9-15-2011)


     As part of Elementary school at Trinity, the children are required to do memory work.  This means that each week the children are given a passage of scripture to memorize.  Throughout the week they work with the verse to learn its meaning and then at the end of the week recite it for their teacher.  In the first grade class, the children recite their verses on Thursday.  As a graduate of Trinity Lutheran, I remember being required to memorize and recite scripture passages.  I did not enjoy it at the time, but later in life it was probably one of the larges gifts that I took with me from my Lutheran education.  I discovered that anytime a difficult or trying time arose, I usually had a Bible verse stored in my memory that I could turn to for comfort or strength.  It allowed me to more fully know the Bible and the promises that are found there.  I am very thankful for the Bible memory that I was required to do.  I am excited that Micah and Elijah and Madeline will have this same opportunity in their lives.  My goal is to incorporate Micah’s Bible memory for the week into my blog at least one time during the week. 
     This week the verse is Isaiah 64:8  “I am the Father, you are the clay.  I am the potter, you are all the work of my hands.” This is a fantastic verse, it reminds us of the wonderful truth that God is still working with us.  We are not a finished, hardened pot, but rather soft clay, being molded by the Father with love and care to reflect him and his love to a world where pain and hurt is so prominent.  It is so fascinating to watch as our children learn how show Christ’s love to others.  It does not come naturally, but is rather a learned behavior.  In Micah’s class, they are spending time learning about the appropriate way to treat one another.  Mrs. D refers to hurtful words and comments as Porcupine words.  Micah reminds us at home that porcupine words are words that poke, and so we have been practicing using words that don’t hurt, but rather words of kindness and love when interacting with one another.  It is exciting to watch as God molds my children into the adults that they will be, and it is an adventure to experience his work as he continues to mold me into the person I am becoming.            

No comments:

Post a Comment